Life hacks for busy moms – how else do we survive all the busy-ness, chaos, changes and more? I know that hacks saved me many times from disaster. As the mom of three very busy kids and a hyperactive husband our lives are full! There have been days when the adrenaline pumping through my veins would make me feel nauseous. When my children where little, I would not have coped if it weren’t for my two secret weapons: Nancy – our wonderful nanny who helped me keep sane. My other secret weapon was (and is!) shortcuts.
Shortcuts are these little rewards we earn for staying organised and prepared for anything. Here are some of my favourite life hacks for busy moms (me):
Life hacks for home
- Premade, frozen ice cubes of baby food. Make a batch of a veggie and puree it, freeze portions in an ice tray and keep the frozen cubes in a zip lock bag. Remember to write the date on the bag! Make a new flavour (veggie) each week for some variety over a few weeks.
- Keep medicines categorised for easy access. I use four first aid boxes – one for pain, tummy, nose & trauma.
- Baby wearing – nothing beats strapping your baby or toddler to your body so you can go for a walk, get some errands done or even clean up
- My youngest has my curly hair and we had many tearful mornings trying to tie her hair up. Use leave in conditioner spray on dry hair to get the knots out or even better, plait unruly hair the night before, and redo the plait the next day.
- Keep a battery box with a mini screw driver in the kitchen drawer for all those pesky battery operated toys!
Life hacks for when you’re on the move
- Keep a diaper/nappy bag permanently packed for emergencies. Include 2 diapers/nappies, wet wipes, a clean dummy & bottle/sippy cup.
- Pack a travel box with toys that only come out on a long trip. It’s the the best way to keep these toys novel and entice your little one’s on long drives.
- Attach toys to the handle above the door in the car so they don’t get thrown on the floor (or out the window) while you drive.
Life hacks because kids!
- When too much is going on my memory sometimes fails me. So, I swap my wedding ring to my left hand to remind me to do something
- My little blondies occasionally end up with green hair after swimming in a pool with too many chemicals (it happens :)). Wash green hair with tomato sauce to get the green tint out.
- If you want to get rid of a bottle habit in toddlers, make the hole bigger each week with a hot needle through the end of the teat. Just watch that the teat doesn’t disintegrate and fall apart.
- Getting through dinner with a busy toddler calls for a hack! Distract your little one with a game of putting spaghetti through the holes in the lid of a herb jar.
What are your favourite hacks? Find us on social media and share your best life hacks for busy moms!
If you’re looking for a way to stay organised and flexible then download the Parent Sense app for expert guidance and an easy to follow daily routine.